We are all busy. Whether we are parenting, working, caring for a sick person, volunteering, taking care of ourselves…it all adds up. And at the end of the day, there is nothing worse than not having a plan for dinner. Therefore, today I am going to introduce you to my fix it and forget it budget recipe. The crock pot is doing almost all of the work here. You don’t even have to thaw the chicken!!
Now, the awesome thing about this meal is that you can tailor it to your family’s preference. Really, there are so many different ways you can make this meal. However, the base stays the same.
- one bag of frozen chicken (I add one chicken breast per person)
- one jar of salsa
- one block of cream cheese
- Grab your crockpot, place the frozen chicken in the bottom, add the jar of salsa on top.
- Cook on low for 4-8 hours depending on how much chicken you use.
- Add the block of cream cheese during the last hour of cooking.
- After cooking the chicken, shred the chicken right in the crock pot, mixing it with all the juices and stiring in the cream cheese while you shred.
Ok, this is where it gets fun. Depending on your preference, you can add a can of drained black beans, a can of drained corn, cooked onions, or green peppers. You can strain the juice and serve it in a tortilla like a burrito, over rice in a bowl, scoop it with corn chips. The options are really endless. And the best thing about this fix it and forget it budget recipe is that it can be eaten plain as is with just the 3 simple ingredients.
Do you have a fix it and forget it budget recipe that you love? Share with us in the comments.